Born into an equestrian family in 1983 Izzy started riding from a very young age, riding a huge variety of ponies. She was out on the hunting field at just four years old which put her in very good stead to become one of Britain’s talented riders.
The passion and natural talent for riding came from Izzy’s mother’s side of the family. Her Grandmother Jane Whiteley (nee Drummond Hay) evented herself, being placed in Badminton Horse trials, while her great Aunt Anneli Drummond Hay won both Badminton and Burghley.
Although being offered a place at university to study Sports Science, Izzy decided her future was with horses and eventing. She started work at Hartpury College and renowned breeders Sam and Linda Barr. Izzy then went out to Holland to train with Anneli Drummond Hay, and to work for Olympic Swiss show jumper Markus Fuchs.
In 2004, Izzy went to work for Mr John Johnston at the Opposition Stud. She stayed with John for two and a half seasons, during which time she was second at Windsor International and won a bronze medal at the European Young Rider Championships on her own horse, as well as successfully riding a large number of John’s Opposition horses to Advanced level.
In 2006 Izzy set up on her own, and in 2008 Izzy got the rides on Briarlands Blackberry and Briarlands Matilda. She came third on Matilda at Blenheim in 2009, the same year in which her first child Lily Tompkins was born.
In 2010 Izzy’s second child Freddie was born and Izzy had over one hundred rides, including twelve internationals. During 2011 and 2012 Izzy’s career went from strength to strength. She was 7th at Burghley CCI**** 2012, 3rd at Bramham CCI*** 2012, and as a rider finished 11th in the British Eventing Rankings for 2012 with KBIS Briarlands Matilda 13th in the list of top 20 horses for British Eventing.
In 2013 Izzy was on the World Class Elite Performance Squad with three horses on the World Class Equine Pathway. She was selected to join five FEI Nations Cup teams, competing as an individual at the HSBC FEI European Championships for Team GBR in Malmo, Sweden with KBIS Briarlands Matilda. At the end of the season, five of the horses that Izzy rode were in the top 100 horses for 2013.
In 2014 she continued to be on the World Class Elite Performance Squad with four horses on the World Class Equine Pathway. Izzy was a member of the 2014 GBR Team for the series of FEI Nations Cup Team Competitions, Britain came 2nd in the series. Izzy selected to take part in three of the competitions, where she finished the highest placed Brit in all 3.
Highlights by year
- Mitsubishi Badminton Horse Trials CCI4*- Izzy was the only rider with 2 horses to complete, both finishing in the top 20
- Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials CCI4* – 7th KBIS Briarlands Matilda –
- Selected for TEAM GBR squad 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games – Allercombe Ellie
- Reserve selection for TEAM GBR squad 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games – Orlando
- Tattersalls CCI3* – 1st Allercombe Ellie
- Ballindenisk (1)CICO3* – 2nd Allercombe Ellie
- Bramham CCI3* – 2nd Orlando
- Aachen CICO3** – 4th Orlando
- European Championships Blair Castle – 6th KBIS Briarlands Matilda
- Strezgom CIC3* – 2nd KBIS Starburst
- Wellington CIC3* –3rd Thistledown Poposki –
- Olympic Team Seletion – Allercome Ellie
- Mitsubishi Badminton Horse Trials CCI4* – 8th Allercombe Ellie
- 6 year old World Championships Le Lion – 3rd HK Jockey Club Fleurelle
- Ballindenisk CCI3* – 3rd Be Touchable
- Waregem CICO3* – 2nd Frog Rock, 4th Trevidden
- Hartpury CIC3* – 2nd Be Touchable
- Boekelo CCI3* – 7th Trevidden
- Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials CCI4* – 9th Trevidden
- Camphire – CIC3* – 1st, 2nd 3rd Trevidden, Be Touchable, Perfect Stranger
- Belton CIC3* – 1st KBIS Starburst, 5th Frog Rock
- Bramham CIC3* – 1st Trevidden
- Millstreet CCI3* – 1st Perfect Stranger, CIC3* – 1st Be Touchable
- Mallow CIC3* – 1st Perfect Stranger
- Blenheim CIC3* ERM – 1st Be Touchable
- Bramham CCI3* – 1st Be Touchable
- Tattersalls CCI3* – 1st Call Me Maggie May
- Ssangyong Blenheim Horse Trials CIC3*8/9 year old – 2nd Springpower
- Osberton Young Horse Championship CCI* – 1st MBF Harley Rebel, CCI** 1st Conguistador II, 3rd Liscarrow Conista
- Magic Millions Festival of British Eventing CIC3*BCO – 2nd Be Touchable
- Jardy CIC3*ERM – 3rd Be Touchable
- Arville CIC3* – Direct Cassino
- Land Rover Blair Horse Trials – CIC3* ERM – 4Th Direct Cassino, CCI3* – 3rd Director General
- Bokelo CCI3* – 8th Springpower
- Land Rover Floors Castle International CIC** – 1st Monkeying Around
- Tattersalls CCI-L4* – 1st PSH Gazelle, CCI-L YH2* – 1st Hartacker. CCI-L3* – 3rd Fonbherna Lancer
- Burgham International CCI-S4* – 3rd Springpower, CCI-S3* – 3rd Hartacker
- Millstreet CCI-S4* – 1st Fonbherna Lancer
- Ssangyong Blenheim Horse Trials CIC4* 8/9 year old – 4th Artful Trinity
- Ballindenisk CCI-S4* – 2nd Fonbherna Lancer, CCI-L3* – 1st PSH Lava Flow
- Pau CCI-L5* – 11th Call Me Maggie May